OPEN CALL for residencies from September 2023 to December 2024
Application deadline: 1st of March 2022 / 23:59 CET
Lademoen Kunstnerverksteder (LKV) would like to invite professionals within dance, music, performance arts, film, literature, visual art and curatorial practice to apply to our interdisciplinary residency program!
Who we are
Lademoen Kunstnerverksteder (LKV) is a foundation running a studio collective with workshops and 42 studios for professional artists, the gallery space BABEL visningsrom for kunst and a residency program for visual artists and interdisciplinary projects.
LKV is located in a former school building from 1906, and has workshops for wood and metal, darm room, lithography and graphic workshops, and a ceramic oven. In the old gym building we have four apartments for guest artists. Today almost 50 artists work at LKV. And each year about 25 guest artists from all around the world have residencies at LKV from two weeks to three months. LKVs workshops and projects rooms are also used by external renters for production of art over shorter periods.
Who can apply
This is a newly started part of LKVs residency program and will focus on interdisciplinary projects. We are open for applications from professional artists that already work with interdisciplinary projects or would like to try it out.
The residency program is open to professional artists based outside Trondheim. Artists can apply for a stay from 2 weeks to 3 months.
What we offer
- Stay in Trondheim from 2 weeks to 3 months with covered housing.
- Studio apartment in the old gym building just across the courtyard from the main building. Apartment contains: 120 cm wide bed, bed linen and towels, dishwasher, refrigerator and freezer, fully equipped kitchen, laundry room and storage room if needed.
- Access to joint workshops for wood, metal, graphics, lithography and analogue photography for artists who have training in the equipment.
- Possibility to have guests, for a fee of 500 NOK / week (free for children under 2 years)
- Possibility to rent project rooms (50 and 90 sqm) on the ground floor.
- Opportunity to apply for an event at BABEL visningsrom for kunst in connection with the stay.
What we expect of the visiting artist
LKV will cover expenses for studio and accommodation. All other expenses, such as living costs, travel, materials, insurance and transport must be covered by the artist themselves. We encourage all applicants to apply for funding in their home countries.
Residency artists are expected to do a short artist talk/reading/concert/performance etc during the stay.
- As we are running the residency on limited administrative resources, selected artists must be prepared to be self reliant at times. We will do our best to facilitate contacts, network and local collaborative partners so that artists can achieve what they have set out to do for their stay. Trondheim is a small and friendly city and it is easy to get in touch with the local artistic community.
- Workshops include wood, metal, graphic, litography, silk screen and dark room. Short introduction is offered for the wood workshop. For the other workshops; you can use them if you are familiar with them, and you have to bring your own materials/chemicals.
- We do not have elevators in any of our buildings.
- Download detailed residency information here.
- Due to postponed residencies in 2020 and 2021 we are reserving the first half of 2023 and the open call is for the second half of 2023 and the whole year of 2024.
- Stillverk1, music practice room including piano and drumkit, possibility for concerts (28 people)
- DansiT, dance studio, has to be cleared every evening Mon-Fri (because of evening classes)
- Rosendal Theatre
- BABEL visningsrom for kunst, for short events etc
Please send an e-mail if you have specific questions or would like more information on the facilities/collaborators. Some facilities might be subject to rent.
We only accept digital applications through the online form.
Incomplete applications, and applications handed in by email will not be considered.
The application must contain the following information:
- Name, contact info, date of birth and nationality
- For how long and when you would like your residency, please provide three prioritized alternatives.
- What kind of facilities will you need?
- If you are more than one applicant, will you need one or two apartments?
- Do you have any collaborative partners in Trøndelag?
- Describe how your project is interdisciplinary
- One PDF file (max 10 pages and 20 MB) containing:
- Artist statement (max 1000 characters)
- A project description (max 2000 characters)
- A portfolio with relevant works. If applicable please provide us with links to video and/or sound works.
-> Name the PDF like this: ‘LKVinter_lastname’, example: ‘LKVinter_Nguyen’
- If you are applying as a group, use the contact person’s name in the application. Include CVs from everyone in the group in the attachment. This allows the PDF to be more than 10 pages, according to the number of CVs. Portfolio should be relevant for collaboration.
- If you are applying for an event at BABEL visningsrom for kunst, please attach a separate PDF with project description and illustrations (if needed), max 3 pages.
-> Name the PDF like this: ‘LKVinter_lastname_BABEL’, example: ‘LKVinter_Nguyen_BABEL’
Please note the LKV will take gender and geographical balance into account when selecting artists for the residency program.
Deadline: 1st of March 2022 through online form.
Applicants will be notified after the selection process is finished, by the end of May 2022.
The following criteria will be of importance in the selection of applicants:
- Artistic quality
- Participation in projects linked to artists, groups and/or institutions in Trondheim, especially interdisciplinary projects.
- Applicants who are planning to take part in the art environment in the city with exhibitions, professional arrangements etc.
- LKV will strive to ensure that all art forms (music, literature, visual arts, theater, dance, film and more) are represented in each two-year period.
The applications are processed by representatives from the fields of literature, music, dance, film and performing arts together with the general manager from LKV.
Suggestions on where to apply for funding